3 May 2012

Welcome to Darkpaths

Hello and welcome to my new blog which is solely for the Doctor Who fan fiction that I'm in the process of writing. As you've probably guessed the series is called "Darkpaths" and follows the path of an unspecific future incarnation of the Doctor who looks like Richard O'Brien (Rocky Horror Picture Show, Crystal Maze).

Let me take you back to the creation of this series...
Back in 2002 I started writing a number of stories based on a fictional 9th Doctor who I imagined to look like Richard O'Brien. In those stories he and his companions Cathy and Daniel travelled through time and space, fighting aliens, thwarting sinister plots and generally just getting into a lot of trouble.

The first story was titled "The Ghosts Of Cologne" and I managed to get about eight stories into the series. The stories were approximately 40,000 words each and tied in with a lot of what the BBC were doing with their range of 8th Doctor novels. It was only when the BBC announced a new Doctor Who series in 2003 (to eventually start up in 2005) with an official 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) that I seemed to lose enthusiasm for doing the series. Not only that but the stories had become too caught up in continuity with the 8th Doctor novels and I even attempted to come up with convoluted ways for my 9th Doctor and the Eccleston Doctor to co-exist. Suffice to say it all became a big mess and I decided to give up.

In recent years I always had the idea to restart, but this time using an unspecified future incarnation of the Doctor (still imagined as Richard O'Brien) and this is where our "Darkpaths" series comes into play. The stories are based around old ideas that I had for the old adventures, but refreshed massively and with no direct references to anything else other than Doctor Who as a TV series.

So this series isn't a rehash or a re-published series. It's brand new and hopefully entertaining enough for anyone to jump on board. I'm not saying it's going to be perfect, but I'm certainly hoping to entertain someone (even if it is just myself!)

No comments:

Post a Comment