27 Oct 2013

The Story of the Ancestors: Chapter 10 (Consequences)

The Doctor had finally found Caroline. She was sat under a willow tree in an old marble room with twisted wooden trees breaking through the walls. She was crying, but tried to compose herself when the Doctor approached her.

“Ah,” said the Doctor, glancing around him, “I see you found the old forest room.”

She nodded, rubbing at her eyes.

He sat down next to her. “I used to come here quite a lot. Usually when I’ve had to say goodbye to old friends. It helps me to relax and put things into perspective.” He gently put an arm around her. “I’m sorry.”

“What for?” she sniffed.

“For all of this.”

“How could you not tell me about what happened when we went back to 1998?”

“I just…I wanted to wait for the right time.”

“The right time was as soon as you got us away from there.”

“I still have the memory stored away,” he said hopefully. “I can give it back to you. It’d be like it was always there.”

“A quick fix and a way out for you. I don’t want it,” she said, looking at him.

“Caroline, you wouldn’t have understood.”

“Really? Do you really think that? I understood that you took a memory from me to protect the web of time. I understand that you were worried for me finding out about my real parents. But what I don’t understand is why you kept it all from me. You knew I was after answers. I didn’t want to have to find out through this Jayne woman.”

“I know,” said the Doctor, hanging his head. “I just…I’m not used to these situations.”

“What did you think I would do?”

“I don’t know,” said the Doctor, turning his head to look at her. “Not be able to cope. Perhaps.”

She laughed and shook her head. “If you thought that then you really don’t know me.”

“The one positive thing in all this is that at least we have some answers.”

“That thing took my baby. For what?”

“I don’t know. But we need to find out.”

Caroline stood up. “How?”

“Jayne’s setting up a link for us down in Thornsby. It should help us to guide the TARDIS down there.”

“And then?”

“And then I’m going to finally put a stop to the Apparites.” He got up and put a hand on her shoulder, looking down at her. “I’m going put things right, Caroline, I promise.”

She sniffed and then nodded. “Can you remember what I said to you when we first met?”

The Doctor frowned, struggling to remember much about that chaotic night. “Was that after I scared the Apparite away with the fire or when we were in the living room?”

“The living room. I said that when this is all over you can leave me alone.”

“Oh,” said the Doctor sadly.

“And I mean it this time. When this is all over, I’m going home and I never want to see you, or Jayne or anyone ever again.”




The sun was shining, but the bushes at the edge of the park were in shadow. The air was cold and slowly the atmosphere began to shimmer and change. Eventually the shape of a person materialised from the shimmer.

He looked around him. He was tall and was clutching a rucksack. He rubbed his eyes and coughed. He held back a shiver and then checked his watch. It wasn’t working. But he knew where he was. He knew he had finally made it back.




Adrian Lennon had returned to Thornsby.




TO BE CONTINUED…

Next: Season 2 of "Darkpaths" comes to a close in "Call of the Spirits". The Doctor returns to Thornsby to finally try and put an end to the Apparites, Danny meets with his long-lost brother again, and Caroline has to face up to her parents and the truth.

Coming Friday November 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment