7 Sept 2013

The First Eleven (Prologue)

The hooded figure shuffled into the room and then quickly, and rather fluidly, slid across to his desk. The room had a cold and clinical feel to it. The walls were grey and bare with high, white strip-lights on the ceiling. The desk was uncluttered and the chair had no artistic design what-so-ever. A very large gateway was situated opposite the desk at the other end of the room.

The doors began to slide open and beyond the door was what could have been described as half a giant. The creature was humanoid shape, stood about 7 ft high and wearing blue armour plating all over it's body. The white flesh beneath the armour rippled with huge muscles. It wore a dark, blue hood, but pulled it back to expose its head - a white, skull-like head with stretched, white flesh partly augmented with cybernetic tech. He had no nose, his eyes were yellow and his teeth were jagged and vicious.

The thing simply stood there and looked down at the man at the desk.

“Come in, my friend,” said a silky voice from beneath the hood. “I've been expecting you.”

“I don't like people expecting me,” growled the creature's voice. It's sounded fierce but remained calm. “I come when I wish.”

“Indeed,” said the hooded man. “I believe that is why the General picked you for the job.”

“I was not picked; I chose to accept his offer.”

The hooded man chuckled and lent back in his chair. “I like your attitude, Paragrim. Oh, I apologise for the slight disruption to your operations as you brought your ship in. Technical difficulties, you see?”

The metal above Paragrim's eye rose a little in interest.

The man realised, for the first time, that Paragrim had one hand on his blaster. His grip was now more relaxed.

“Do sit down.”

Paragrim gestured around the room. “Hard to sit down when the only chair in the room is the one you're sitting on. And it’s too small anyway.”

The man chuckled again and pressed a button on his desk. Paragrim instantly went for his blaster, but then stopped. A shape shimmered in front of him, solidified and then took on the resemblance of a large chair. “Explain,” said Paragrim simply.

“It's a hard-light hologram. Picked up the tech on a mining ship.” The man gestured to the large seat. “Please, sit down.”

Paragrim breathed in heavily and then walked over to the chair. His footsteps echoed and almost shook the room, but the man kept his calm. The giant looked at the small man and his desk and then to his own chair. He reached out a hand and gently touched it with his hand.

“Hmm....I’d expect to be able to pass through a hologram.”

The man put his fingers together in a steeple shape. “I told you, it’s hard-light technology. It’s solid.”

Paragrim pondered and then carefully sat down. After a moment he relaxed and looked down at the man. “I've never seen technology like this.”

“You poor soul. Where have you been living?” asked the man with a laugh.

“Many places,” said Paragrim vaguely.

“I've done a lot of studying into your background.” The man punched a few buttons and looked at an internal screen situated in his desk. “One of your major jobs was involving the Bandrils, I believe.”

Paragrim nodded. “An un-agreeable bunch. I almost let my business with them ruin my life and my work.”

“Yes. It says here that you were beaten by the insane Emperor of the Bandrils, known as Fliss.'

Paragrim lurched forward angrily and he looked down at the little man. “How do you know all of this?”

“I have my contacts,” said the man calmly.

“Don't like contacts. They get in the way. Know too much about you.”

Paragrim wasn't sure but believed the man to be smiling under the hood.

“Now,” continued the man, “after the Bandril incident, you were imprisoned by the Thelta’s on Dennison IV, yes?”

Paragrim slammed his fist on the desk and shattered the computer screen. “Do we need to hear this?”

“I felt it important that we got our facts straight,” said the man apologetically.

“I know my past and so do you. There's no need to talk it out between us. Just get on with the business at hand.”

“As you wish,” said the man calmly. “After your mission on Dennison IV -” Paragrim growled. “Please, allow me to continue. This is all important.” Paragrim relaxed again. “After your mission on Dennison IV, you met a Time Lord. His name was -”

“The Doctor,” slurred Paragrim.

“During the Lighthouse Incident with the Eyeglass.”

“Do you not work for them?” asked Paragrim.

“Not exactly. Like you, they use me as an asset. The General contacted me and asked me to put together a plan to destroy the Doctor. He said I’d be using you. You were a valuable asset.”

Paragrim nodded. “After I went on board his ship, he gave me the co-ordinates for here. Said you’d tell me the entire plan.”

The hooded man nodded. “I want you to travel through time and get me the first eleven incarnations of the Doctor.”

“What? Why? And why the first eleven?” Paragrim was confused. He wasn’t sure what number the Doctor he met was, but he knew it was a long time after the Eleventh incarnation.

“The first eleven are…unique. There is something within their cell structure that I need. The 12th onwards does not have it. Bring me each one of them, alive, and I shall take what I need and then destroy them.”

“A risky business though, eh? Killing each one would create disturbances in the fabric of space and time.”

“It's worth it.”

A thought suddenly dawned on Paragrim. “The Doctor has played an important part in the universe, yes? If he dies eleven times then it'll cause problems in time. What about me? I've met him. Some of his actions have resulted in things happening for me. What happens to me? Do I get wiped from history?”

“You're correct that chaos will ensue, but I can save you. I can get you out of here and into another, undamaged pocket universe.”

“I need some assurances.”

“I have a time machine.”

“So do I. The General installed a time-drive into the ship he gave me.”

“But does it have universe-hopping technology?” asked the man quickly.

Paragrim remained silent.

“I thought not. Believe me, Paragrim, I will save you. You will live to fight in a new universe. A fresh universe for you to do your bounty hunting in.”

“I don't like that term,” spat Paragrim.

The man held up his hands apologetically. “I meant no disrespect.”

“None taken.” Paragrim stifled a smile and a chuckle. “What's the reward? The General said 100,000,00 credits.”

“Oh, let’s up that a little bit. How does 500,000,000 credits sound?.”

Paragrim nodded in agreement.

“So it’s a deal?” asked the man hopefully.

“I regret not going after my Doctor, but the first eleven…that sounds too good to pass up on.”

The man clapped his hands together. “Excellent!”

“Just one thing,” said Paragrim. “Why don't you reveal your face?”

The man paused and then seemed to pull the hood down a little more. “I had a nasty accident a while ago. It was on Earth, actually. I don't think you'd find my face agreeable.”

“A shame for you. I don't let my customers care about my appearance.”

“Quite,” said the man, eager to get off the subject. He produced a small, cube-like object with a tiny cylinder on the underneath. “This cube will fit into your ship's console. It will locate each of the Doctors at accessible and vulnerable points in space and time. It'll make it easier for you to get them.”

Paragrim took the cube from the man and turned it over in his hand.

“Remember though: the Doctor is a slippery character and even if he is vulnerable he will attempt to find a way to defeat you.

“I shall defeat him first.” grinned Paragrim.

The man nodded. “Good luck, Paragrim.”

The giant rose from his chair and headed towards the gateway. Before he exited he turned back to the man. “I hope, for your sake, that this is not a deception. I’d be very unhappy if that were the case.”

The man held out his hands in a gesture of innocence. “I simply want the Doctor brought here and destroyed.” Before Paragrim left the man called to him again. “One more thing: I've left you an assistant in the landing bay. I hope you don't mind. I'm sure you'll find him useful.”

“I don't get on with assistants,” said Paragrim.

“He's just there to watch your back.”

Paragrim inclined his head in reluctant agreement and then left.

When the hooded stranger was sure Paragrim had left his chamber he collapsed back into his chair. Now all he could do was wait.

Next: Paragrim tracks down the First and Second Doctor's. Coming Monday 9th September.

No comments:

Post a Comment